Sunday 19 August 2018

Learn How To Swear the MSA Way!



I am privileged to introduce you to a few of the rude Swear words we use in the world of MSA - Multiple System Atrophy. There are others. These are the real “nasties”! Try saying them now.

“Dysautonomia, Dysarthria, Dysphagia, Bradykinesia, Orthostatic Hypotension, Ataxia, Urogenital Dysfunction.

Now.. Shout them out!

“DYSAUTONOMIA..  DYSARTHRIA..  DYSPHAGIA..  BRADYKINESIA..  ORTHOSTATIC HYPOTENSION..   ATAXIA..  UROGENITAL DYSFUNCTION..


Got them? – Great! Now let me explain, in simple terms, what they mean.
(Note: I do not usually like "Laundry Lists", however, I think in this instance, it is the best way to explain the meaning of the swear words!)

Dysautonomia - Is a condition in which the autonomic nervous system (ANS) does not work properly and leads to problems regulating heart rate, blood pressure, breathing, stomach digestion, bladder, intestines, sweat glands, pupils, blood vessels and other internal organ functions. (Cerebellar dysfunction)

Dysarthria - Difficult or unclear articulation of speech that is otherwise linguistically normal. (Cerebellar dysfunction)
Dysphagia - Is when you find it difficult to chew, swallow or transport food from your mouth to stomach. (Cerebellar dysfunction)

Bradykinesia - Is defined by slow movement and an impaired ability to move the body swiftly on command, postural instability (falling over) and tremors. (Parkinsonian features and traits)

Orthostatic Hypotension - OH is defined as blood pressure fall within a few minutes of standing from a sitting position. (Autonomic Dysfunction)

Ataxia - Gait Ataxia (GA), is a wide-based stance with steps of irregular length and direction. (Cerebellar dysfunction)

Urogenital DysfunctionUrinary incontinence (UI) is defined as persistent, involuntary, partial or total bladder emptying and Erectile dysfunction (ED) in men that usually occurs before symptomatic OH ( Orthostatic Hypotension ).
There you have it, the basic swear vocabulary of MSA. Do I use one or two of them or all of them. Sadly, I use ALL of them. Sometimes one or two a day, sometimes all of them every day and sometimes a double dose of them in one day!

For the benefit of my readers, I am going to attempt to take a very long hard look at the development and process of my journey. My next blog will reveal how I put all the bits and pieces together with the help of my various doctor's and came to the estimated guess of exactly when Multiple System Atrophy hit my brain!

[If you have not read the first post of this blog, I recommend you visit HERE and read in chronological order, it will make my journey a little clearer for you]

Advice: No matter what disease you have, rare or not, always keep faith!)

(Next time.. putting the Jigsaw pieces together)

Keep safe,
Neill
Previous Page - Next Page





6 comments:

  1. I like your blog! It will be interesting to see when you think yours first started. I had the dramatic like you, an arm abruptly quit working with a trip to the ER and originally thinking it was CRPS (complex regional pain syndrome), but I believe mine started much earlier. I'm also interested in the story you said about how faith came into play in your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Angie.. I have just posted that puts the puzzle together.. of when we worked out how long I have had MSA... NExt post will be "Faith and Hope". Hugs from South Africa..

      Delete
  2. BRAVO ! les schémas sont hyper explicatifs.
    Bon courage à vous.
    semirama,Paris France (RareConnect)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good blog and spot on for the symtoms that my wife suffers from. Keep up the good work as we do need to raise awareness about this condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much.. Ideed.. the more people who know about MSA, the better.

      Delete

My Realty of MSA Has Finally Arrived!

I posted this on my FB page of the 31st December 2018, " I had the most awful experience at around 1.50 am this morning! I woke up...